Q9 Changes over time
Students are often asked to show their findings over a period of time. Data like that is shown with a line graph. In this Quest you will be asked to collect data on a company that is trying to make money but often runs into problems. Your teacher would like you to run the company for 14 days to see what can be done.
You are being asked to investigate a business and show how it runs. You will be using an interactive web site resource from CoolMath games. This Quest focuses on two different businesses: 1) Running a Lemonade Business, or 2) The Coffee Stand (Note: both run on an iPad as well as the PC or Mac).
Line graph: A line graph is a graph that uses points connected by lines to show how something changes in value (as time goes by, or as something else happens).
Findings: Findings are a conclusion reached after examination or investigation.
I Can Statements
- analyze data and create different visual representations of it
- can use spreadsheets, charts and visual representations are tools to help organize, evaluate, and present data
- create, organize, analyze and share representations of data in spreadsheet, chart, graph, and data plot formats with my teacher and classmates
1. Watch the Excel tutorial at the top of this page to help prepare you for creating a line graph showing an event over time.
2. Check with your teacher on the following two activities and select one (or both) to complete. Use the links below to go to your Quest activity.
- Lucrative Lemonade (Student activity with instructions)
- The Coffee Stand (Student activity with instructions)
Check off this Quest
I am ready for Q10: Sort It Out
ISTE and Common Core Standards
5. Computational Thinker
a. formulate problem definitions suited for technology-assisted methods such as data analysis, abstract models and algorithmic thinking in exploring and finding solutions
b. collect data or identify relevant data sets
c. break problems into component parts, extract key information
6. Creative Communicator
a. create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into new creations
b. communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively by creating or using a variety of digital objects such as visualizations, models or simulations
d. publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for a variety of audiences.
Common Core Standards
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.L.1 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.L.2 Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
Summarize and describe distributions.
Summarize numerical data sets