Gold PSA Quest - Create a cartoon or infographic
I Can Statement
- work collaboratively with a partner or small group to share ideas and come to concensus on a planning process for a cartoon or infographic product.
- create a PSA Message that conveys a message and motivates others.
Planning a Digital PSA Story
There are many types of stories and a lot of great online tools for creating them. This Quest focuses on a public service announcement (PSA) that tells a short story. Your story should tell a message and be a call to action to motivate others. Did the example videos you have watched catch your attention?
In the first part of this Gold Quest you selected a topic.
Now it's time to plan it out and create one using an infographic or cartoon.
You can revisit different media choices in Thing 17, Creative Communications after you complete these planning steps.
Some requirements to remember (or as modified by your teacher)
- Take a position with a message (such as don't give your password to a friend, be careful what information you put in a chat room, don't be intimidated by bullying texts...)
- Deliver ONE core message that is convincing (supported with facts, images, examples...)
- Catch the attention of your intended audience with a clear message
- Create a slogan that is memorable and stands out, easy to remember, or uses an image that catches attention
1. Check with your teacher about working with a partner or in a small group.
3. Select an appropriate web application to use for your PSA, and check with your teacher before you start. These do not require any special equipment!
- Cartoon PSA option:
Explore and create your draft PSA using a cartoon application.
4. When done, review it with the PSA rubric, and turn it in as directed by your teacher.
Extension activity: Use your skills to create a multimedia version of your PSA.
Completing this Quest
When you have completed your PSA project save it to your File Space and share it with your teacher.
Check off this Quest on your 21t4s roadmap
ISTE and Common Core Standards
3. Knowledge Constructor
a. Plan and employ effective research strategies to locate information and other resources for their intellectual or creative pursuits
4. Innovative Designer
a. Know and use a deliberate design process for generating ideas, testing theories, creating innovative artifacts or solving authentic problems
6. Creative Communicator
a. Choose the appropriate platforms and tools for meeting the desired objectives of their creation or communication
b. Create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into new creations
d. Publish or present content that customizes the message and medium for their intended audiences
Common Core Standards
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.5 Develop and strengthen writing as needed by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.7 Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects based on focused questions, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation.