Q3 Multimedia Story
Planning a Multimedia Digital PSA Story
Now that you know the characteristics of a PSA, you and your partner(s) will bring your earlier (cartoon or infographic) PSA to life with multimedia, or if you were "Rockstars" with the first one in Quest 2, select a new topic and use a different type of media. This Quest focuses on the use of multimedia elements (Audio, Video, and Blended media). Check with your teacher if you plan to change your topic.
Remember to create a powerful PSA that meets the list of PSA characteristics (reference http://www.rock-your-world.org/how-to-study-public-service-announcements-psas).
1. Review the rubric as you work on your PSA.
Create a Concept Plan
Each team member should create one concept plan for the topic selected, filling it out as you imagine it. (Remember to keep it to the point and simple as you only have 60 seconds maximum ). This might be 5 or less frames
Then meet together, and present each of your plans to your group or partner
Combine the best of your ideas into a final plan and share it with your teacher for feedback
3. Media Folder: Create a folder (in a shared folder space if possible) and begin collecting the files you plan to use (images, photos, video clips, sound recording, text on a slide or in a word processing document). Name each with an appropriate filename, add the filename to your concept plan document and explain how it supports your PSA message.
4. Requirements: Keep it 30-60 seconds long (check with your teacher for alternate lengths) View this example using blendspace PSA-Good Hygiene
5. With your group or partner, select an application to use for your multimedia PSA and gather additional resources (images, sound files, video links...) needed and create your PSA following the directions. Determine with your teacher which of the application options listed can be used with the equipment and resources available to you.
- Animation - Go to Animoto which does require you to create a free account that lets you create a 30 second video animation.
- Audio - Explore the Vocaroo application
Note: Requires a microphone, headset with mic, or other recording device (mobile). Record and upload recordings online with a Windows, Mac, or Chromebook. App recommendations for iPads are provided.
- Blended media - Explore two applications to blend different media together (BlendSpace and Sway)
Completing Your PSA
6. Using one of the three choices you will be completing your multimedia PSA, have another group watch it to provide feedback, referring to the rubric as they watch it, and write a reflection document to turn in.
7. The following steps are listed on each of the pages showcasing the options provided above:
- Complete your multimedia PSA and have another group watch it to provide feedback, referring to the rubric as they watch it.
- Discuss the feedback in your group and make any modifications or improvements as needed.
- Collaborate with your partner or group and prepare a 2-3 paragraph reflection on:
- something you each learned from this activity
- three tips you would give to another group beginning to work on this project
- how can you use this type of application in the future or for other classe
8. Check with your teacher on how to turn this in.
Completing this Quest
You have completed and turned in your multimedia PSA assignment and reflection as directed.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s Roadmap
I have completed the Quests as assigned by my teacher.
Go to the graduation page for this Thing.
ISTE and Common Core Standards
1. Empowered Learner
a. Articulate and set personal learning goals, develop strategies leveraging technology to achieve them, and reflect on the learning process itself to improve learning outcomes
d. Understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies, are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies
2. Digital Citizen
b. Engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices
4. Innovative Designer
a. Know and use a deliberate design process for generating ideas, testing theories, creating innovative artifacts or solving authentic problems
Common Core Standards
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.5 Develop and strengthen writing as needed by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.7 Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects based on focused questions, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation.