Q3 Quick Response
You have been selected by your teacher to find out what is the most popular item sought by students your age. It could be a technology item, the latest clothes or shoe label, toy, etc. In this quest, you are going to learn how to create a QR code which is a special type of two dimensional bar code. The reason they are so popular is that you can store a lot of information on a QR code unlike a standard UPC barcode which is usually just a bunch of numbers and letters. Typically you use a Smartphone or other mobile device to scan a QR code and it will display the code and convert it into something useful like a standard url for a website.
Once you have decided what is the most sought after item, you will create a QR code where you can locate this item. Share the QR code with your teacher.
QR Code: A QR code (quick response code) is a type of 2D bar code that is often used to provide access to information through a mobile device.
UPC Barcode: A UPC (Universal Product Code) is a twelve-digit barcode typically used in a retail store
1. Find out more about a QR code and how to use them. Watch the following video.
2. Next, learn how to create a QR code so that it can be read by a phone or other portable mobile device. There are several sites where you can create a QR code. You just follow the instructions and each of these sites will create a QR code for you. It could be for a website, business card, phone number and much more.
3. Now it is time to figure out what is the most popular item others your age would like to purchase. Every year, it seems to be something different and so popular that it is difficult to buy because they sell out. Many years ago it was the Cabbage Patch Doll, then it was Beanie Babies, a couple of years ago it was the Wii, and then the iPad. What do you think will be the IT item this year? You can survey the students in your class or do a search on the Internet. You may get multiple answers! Ask your parents what was the IT item when they were your age.
4. After deciding what the most popular item for students your age, you will go to the Internet and create a QR code for the item. You will want to find a site that has a description of the item and shows where you can purchase it as well as the price. You may have to create one or more QR codes for your teacher.
5. If you have mobile devices in your classroom, find a partner and using your mobile device scan your partner's QR code to find what he/she thinks is the IT item of the year. Have your teacher keep track of the items using one of the visual learning tools in Q1 or Q2 and share with the entire class.
6. Take a screenshot of your QR code and send it to your teacher. You will also save it in your File Space.
Completing this Quest
Once you have learned how to create a QR code and decided what the most popular item is for students your age, you will create a QR code for the item and send it to your teacher. Once you have your Web Site created when you complete Digital Footprint in Thing 5, you will be able to create QR codes and post them on your website.
Note for iPad users: Ask your teacher if there is a Scan App on your iPad. If there is then go ahead and scan the top image to see what the QR code reads.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s Roadmap
I have completed the Quests as assigned by my teacher.
Go to the graduation page for this Thing.
ISTE and Common Core Standards
2. Empowered Learner
c. Use technology to seek feedback that informs and improves their practice and to demonstrate their learning in a variety of ways
3. Knowledge Constructor
a. Plan and employ effective research strategies to locate information, media, data or other resources
4. Innovative Thinker
c. Develop, test and refine prototypes as part of a cyclical design process
6. Creative Communicator
b. Create original works or responsibly repurpose or remix digital resources into new creations