Gold Investigating Dropbox
Dropbox is a cloud based service that allows you to save, store, and share files on a remote server. This can be really useful if you don’t have a flash drive with you when you need to save a file or if you need to share a file. In this Quest you will learn how to create an account, save files to a virtual space, create folders, access your documents online and share documents with others.
Remote server: Another computer not connected directly to your own computing device, which allows users to gain access to files and/or services (a good example is Google Drive)
Cloud Management: Used in these Quests, refers to your ability to manage files that you save on a remote server through a service such as Dropbox.
1. Go through the following tutorial to find out how to use Dropbox on your computer and on your iPad. Learn how how to create your account, save and share documents and create folders.
2. Next go to dropbox.com and create an account:
a. Username: don’t ever use your real name as part of a username
b. Password: make a powerful password
c. Record your username and password in a safe place
(See your teacher for instructions about the best place to save your usernames and passwords)
2. Create a folder and name it “your name - Cloud Management”
3. Find out your teacher's email address and share the folder.
a. If you don’t know how to share, watch this video.
4. Once shared, your teacher will place a passcode in your folder.
5. Open the Passcode, take a screen capture of the passcode.
6. Save it to your File Space.
Completing this Gold Quest
By completing this assignment you are certifying that you have created a Dropbox account, created a folder and shared it with your teacher. You took a screen capture of the passcode you received and saved it to your File Space.
Check off this Gold Quest on the 21t4s Roadmap
How to create a dropbox account and share video: www.SchoolTube.com
ISTE and Common Core Standards
1. Empowered Learner
d. Understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies, and are able to transfer their knowedge to explore emerging technologies
5. Digital Citizen
c. Demonstrate an understanding of and respect for the rights and obligations of using and sharing intellectual property