Q2 Truth in Advertising
During this Quest, you are going to investigate ads and marketing. You will visit four stores in a virtual mall to experience: ads and endorsements, targeted marketing, false and misleading ads, and advertising claims. Learn about making good choices when making a purchase.
Note: check with your teacher about working with a partner or small group, taking turns investigating the different stores in the West Terrace Mall
Advertising: It can be any form of communication that is used to get you to think about, want and then buy a product or service.
Misleading: Giving the wrong idea or impression, deceptive, not entirely truthful
Truth In Advertising: The U.S. Federal Trade Commission enforces laws that requires an ad to be truthful, not misleading, and when appropriate, backed by scientific evidence to help prevent scams.
Brand crossover: It is when well known brands partner together. (e.g. Nike+iPod sports kit introduced by Apple and Nike and Ferrari 3200 notebook designed by Acer brings the legend of the sports car to the desktops of home users)
Preparation: Download (W Terrace Mall visit.pdf) OR open in a different browser window or on a partner's computer, this West Terrace Virtual Visit document .
1. Click this link and visit the West Terrace Area of the Mall and follow the directions in the Mall Visit document or you may explore on your own (check with your teacher).
Your visit begins with the Welcome then visits to the following stores:
Shuman's Shoes, Market Watch, GR8 Gadgets, and the Nutritional Emporium
2. Open a word processing document and name it West Terrace with your initials at the end.
3. You will start by visiting Shuman Shoes and create your own ad. You will take a screenshot in of the poster you create and paste it into your West Terrace document. You may want to crop the image, resize it, and then name your poster"Shoe Ad."
4. Below your poster answer the questions in complete sentences. The questions are in the directions document (also listed below). It might be helpful to copy these questions and paste them into your document.
What does the fine print say and why is it important?
What is misleading about the ad?
What did Isaac like or dislike about your ad?
5. Your next steps are to visit: Market-Watch Wireles, GR8 Gadgets, and Nutritional Emporium (refer to the directions for the specific steps).
6. After you visit the areas in step 5, answer the following questions in your document.
How could a retailer use target marketing to sell you a phone?
Why are there commercials on radio, television, and the internet?
Who should you contact if a commercial is misleading or false?
How much of an advertisement must be true?
7. Share your document with your teacher.
BONUS activity : Play this interactive game at game.admongo.gov
Completing this Quest
When you are done with your document, save in your File Space and share it with your teacher.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s Roadmap
I have completed this Quest and I am ready to tackle Quest 3
ISTE and Common Core Standards
1. Empowered Learner
a. Articulate and set personal learning goals, develop strategies leveraging technology to achieve them, and reflect on the learning process itself to improve learning outcomes
4. Innovative Designer
a. Know and use a deliberate design process for generating ideas, testing theories, creating innovative artifacts or solving authentic problems
5. Computational Thinker
b. Collect data or identify relevant data sets
Common Core Standards
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.7 Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media and formats, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words.1
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.R.8 Delineate and evaluate the argument and specific claims in a text, including the validity of the reasoning as well as the relevance and sufficiency of the evidence.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.8 Gather relevant information from multiple print and digital sources, assess the credibility and accuracy of each source, and integrate the information while avoiding plagiarism.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.SL.2 Integrate and evaluate information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively, and orally.
Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.SL.5 Make strategic use of digital media and visual displays of data to express information and enhance understanding of presentations.