Do you really know who your Internet pen pal is? How do you know your new friend is who they say they are?
In this Quest you will learn the importance of being a responsible digital citizen. You will learn about potential online dangers, how to stay safe using instant messaging, and how to protect your reputation.
I Can Statements
- be safe on the Internet
- be a good digital citizen
- create an online poster about Internet safety
1. Learn how to be safe online. (Remember you looked at the Top 10 Online Safety Tips from the previous Quest.)
2. Watch the video - Protecting Reputations Online
3. Take the online Internet Safety Guidelines quiz
4. Select one of the following topics covered in Danger!:
- Being Safe Online
- Protecting Your Reputation Online
- Internet Safety Guidelines
5. Consider using one of the following options to create your poster:
a. Low-tech: Draw your own or print out some copyright free images and paste them on paper, use markers, etc. to make a poster, take a picture of it and post it to "Create an Internet Safety Poster" following your teacher's directions
b. Techie: Use a word-processing tool (Google docs, Microsoft Office/365 or other) and include free images and add headline fonts or other features.
c. Check with your teacher, they may have an educational account with a poster-making web site with specific directions for you.
FYI (For Your Information): Additional sites for copyright free images are listed below in the Additional Resources section. In addition, you may want to add music from Mobygratis.
6. Be creative, demonstrate your knowledge, and cite your sources. Your online poster should demonstrate what you learned about the topic you chose. Make it creative and unique, while explaining why it is important to remember internet safety guidelines, being safe online, or protecting your reputation online. Be sure to properly cite any sources you used in your research.
Completing this Quest
Save your poster to your File Space or link it to your portfolio, blog, wiki, or online presence. Report to your teacher for approval.
Here is a rubric to guide this activity (optional) Poster rubric
Additional Resources for copyright free images:
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
I am ready for the next Quest, Quest OEQ.
ISTE and Common Core Standards
2. Digital Citizen
b. Engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices
c. Demonstrate an understanding of and respect for the rights and obligations of using and sharing intellectual property
Common Core Standards
Use technology, including the Internet, to produce and publish writing and present the relationships between information and ideas efficiently as well as to interact and collaborate with others.