Texting is a popular way for people to communicate with each other. Sometimes it can get out of hand. You are going to watch a short video. The video shows one the dangers of texting.
You might have a cell phone and feel you are already a proficient texter, but we think that you need to watch the video "Mike-Tosis" and "Heads Up: Stop.Think.Click" (at the top of the page). Ask your teacher if you are going to watch the videos as a class, or if you need to do it individually. After watching the videos, wait for instructions.
I Can Statement
- compare appropriate and inappropriate use of cell phones for texting
Texting: digitally sending a message to someone else.
Proficient: Very fast or skilled at something, like being a very proficient texter.
Responsible texting: To be responsible and safe, a good digital citizen and not engage in rude behaviors; Avoid texting someone when with someone else, (parents, adults, classmates), awhen ttending events (movies, dinner, school events), or in transit (walking, running, driving).
Rumor: Something shared with others that is talk or opinion and not a verified true statement.
Sexting: sending nude, semi-nude, or sexually explicit material, photos, images, across digital media. This is a crime, misdemeanor or felony, depending on your state laws.
2. Look at the following questions. Your teacher will let you know if you will have a class discussion, write a reflection, hold a class debate, or create a presentation.
- What rumor were the students at NS High spreading in Allie's daydream?
- What technologies were they using to spread the rumor?
- Why did the rumor spread so fast?
- What could have happened to Allie as a result of this rumor?
- Before you click to send a text message, picture or video what should you do? Would you want someone to send it to you? Would you want your future employer to see it?
3. Create a list with at least 10 tips for responsible texting.
Completing this Quest
After watching the video and looking at the questions, check with your instructor for the assignment.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
ISTE and Common Core Standards
2. Digital Citizen
a. Cultivate and manage their digital identity and reputation and are aware of the permanence of their actions in the digital world
b. Engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices
d. Manage their personal data to maintain digital privacy and security and are aware of data-collection technology used to track their navigation online