This is where we post notes about any changes to links or content (due to a site or resource being no longer available or revision work) through the school year.
REVISIONS/UPDATES completed for 2018-19
8/14/2018 New video introduction to Quizlet on the Begin Here Page.
Renamed Quests in Thing 4, Collaboration, for QG1 etc. (from Q1) to indicate they are Google specific Quests.
8/3/2018 Awesome Index posted to the main menu bar! Standards will be added to during the year.
8/1/2018 Added Mobile Safety and Security CommonCraft video with a lesson plan to Basics Quest 6 Safe and Secure.
7/31/2018 - We have begun integrating Digital Citizenship throughout the site with Reflections or Discussion guided questions, and links to additional resources.
- NEW Digital Badges (zipped file)
- Revised PPT Graduation Certificates available on the Teacher Resource Login section
- 2018-19 Roadmap documents
- New Thing 15 Design Thinking content is complete - *but the teacher guide, videos, quizlets and student checklists will be updated early August.
1. Our site is being moved within our funding source (REMC.org) site, and will have a new banner at the top, all else will remain FREE and as an Open Educational Resource.
2. A Schoology version will be available by fall.
3. The Syllabus will be updated by mid-August
4. A new video about using Quizlet is in process
5. New animated videos for Thing 15, Teacher Guides, Student checklists are in process
6. New animated videos for Be Legal and Fair, Intro to Powerful Presentations, and Digital Images are in process
7. Interactives, Dig the Data, and Creative Communications are being updated
8. An Awesome Index to the site is done, still wanting more standards listed.
9. Revisions to Thing 21 Coding and Game Design will be done during the 2018-19 school year to launch Fall 2019.
A short video about the new updates to the site will be updated for 2018-19 by mid- August 2018.
*** Michigan Teachers do you need credits to renew your license?
PD Offerings: October 1 - July 2, 2018.
Earn 10-90 SCECHs by completing up to nine of the 21 Things 4 Teachers modules. More info can be found at Registration.
5/30/2018 Thing 8 Q2 Troubleshooting has a new game on Cybersecurity from Nova Labs (PBS). The game takes 75 minutes and could be a great homework assignment or small group activity spread over several days. It requires a sign-in from either: Facebook, Google, PBS, or it offers a Guest Pass that doesn't save progress.
5/28/2018 Thing 12 Quest 2 Interactive Investigations has been updated due to Edheads changing the virtual games that are available for free.
- Nano Startup (Grades 5-8)
- Manufacturing Technician (Grades 5-8)
- Sickle Cell DNA (Grades 7-12+)
- Trauma (Grades 7-12+)
- Virtual Hip Resurfacing (Grades 7-12+)
Additional interactive resources were reviewed and added, teacher and student guides updated.
5/24/2018 An Assessment menu item has been added. It has both the pre- and post- Technology Skills Surveys on the page. These will be removed from 1. Basics-Navigation and 15.Q4 Skills Check before the next school year.
K-5 Update (3/14/2018)
This 21things4kids.net project is now in released and is LIVE.
4/23/2018 Some of the recent updates:
- The concept of Algorithms has been added to Digital Footprint Q2.
- Links are being checked and fixed throughout the site
- The new and Free Google Applied Digital Skills Curriculum for MS/HS and college is being integrated into the following Quests as advanced options:
- If-Then Adventure - added to Powerful Presentations Q1
- Research & Develop a topic - to add to Search Strategies
- Tech Ethics and Security to add to Digital Footprint
- Plan an Event - to add to Dig the Data
- Guide to an Area - to add to Dig the Data sorting and filtering
- Technology’s role in current events -
- Plan and Budget - to add to Dig the Data - conditional events
- Create an Editing Tool with Programming - to add to Coding and/or Collaboration Tools
- Technology at Work - to add to Creative Communications or Collaboration
- Pick the Next Box Office Hit - to add to Dig the Data
- Equal Access to Technology - to add to Creative Communications
- Create a Presentation “All About a Topic” - added to Powerful Presentations Q1
- 21things4kids.net site is LIVE.
- REVISIONS for 2018-19 will be minimal as the majority of the Things and Quests were updated Summer 2017. We plan some changes to:
- Hands Online
- Social Networking
- Basics - Q3 Shortcuts added for Surface, Surface Pro, and gestures for RT.
- Basics - Q3 Shortcut ProProf quizzes for Mac and PC added
- New page with Accommodations Resources for teachers to use with students
- Two new STEAM/STEM MAKER Quests have been added to Thing 21 Coding and Game Design. They are Sphero and Ozobots. Check them out!
- Teacher Handbook and the Student Syllabus have been updated
- A Moodle Student Course has been updated and the link has been added to the password protected teacher resource page
- Renamed and replaced Thing 17. Screencasting to 17. Creative Communications to focus on selecting between media types for expression
- Total revision of 18. Digital Storytelling
- Revised 5. Digital Footprint to blend Q1 and Q2
- Added Google slides to the Powerful Presentations along with PowerPoint, tutorials
- Updated Basics including Navigation and the Roadmap files
- Revised the post-tests on the graduation page and began creating a test bank that when completed can be used for pre and post tests for each thing.
- Updated all the quizzes, instructional objectives, I can statements, and alignment with ISTE 2016 student standards
- URL list is being kept up-to-date
- Accommodations for teaching have been added in Teacher Resources: Accommodations
- Making the PDF's accessible (this will take some time in 2017-18)
- Revising the Shortcuts quizzes in Basics Quest 3 to use Quizlet quizzes (in process)
- Replaced bad links to videos in Digital Footprint Q1 and Be Legal & Fair Q1.
Additional Updates Completed:
- Visual Learning has an added Q4 STEAM Roller Coaster that is the first of our STEAM/STEM additions.
- All of the "I Can" statements have been updated and added to the Quests
- All of the Learning Objectives have been updated with the 2016 ISTE Standards for students listed in [brackets] after them
- Fake or Real News is a new Quest added to Search Strategies Q5
- Drop-down 21things menu: You may have noticed the drop-down menu for the 21things is now a double menu box. Teachers requested we find a way to make it shorter so tablets and chromebooks could see the long list easier.
- Instructional Learning Objectives: contain the new ISTE standards in brackets after them. It would be helpful if you begin to familiarize students with the concepts of the 7 standards (see the ISTE Standards for Students 2016
- Student Checklists: student checklists have been updated to include a link to the Quizlets
- I Can statements: that have been located on the Graduation page are now also on the student checklists to help identify personal learning goals. These are also being refreshed, and added to the teacher guides.
- Accessibility: We will be converting the pdf files to meet accessibility standards, adding accommodation information to the site as well as the teacher guides. Our videos already include CC.
- The added Classroom Collaboration Quest is now part of Thing 4. Collaboration
- #10 Digital Images: PicMonkey and two student-created examples have been added to Quest 3
- K-1 Online Safety Project Lesson
- SOPPA: Information about the Student Online Personal Protection Act (SOPPA) in Michigan has been added to the Teacher Resource section.
- Close captioning for videos: We cannot add CC for YouTube, SchoolTube or other videos that we link to, only the ones we have created.
The Teacher Resources have been moved. They were previously located in a Moodle site and have now been moved to this site with a password protected login. It is located under the Teacher Resources top menu, and called: Teacher Resource Login. When you complete the Teacher Registration that you are using the site you will find the login and password at the end of the registration survey. The password is changed each year in July to help us document the use to our funding source (to keep it free to you).
Updates to the 21things4students
*** Stay informed about key trends in technology and learning challenges now and in the next 5 years. Explore by viewing the K-12 Horizon Report overview video (embedded below), and by downloading both the 2016 NMC/CoSN K-12 Horizon Report and the 2016 Horizon Digital Toolkit located at the top of the Teacher Start Page.
The 21Things4Administrators Project website has been updated 1/2/2017. Send a link to your administrator!
ISTE 2016 STANDARDS Alignment
The recently revised ISTE Standards for Students was released (June 2016). These are now updated on the pages and a cross-alignment document is available.
ISTE awarded the 21things4students their Seal of Alignment for meeting all of the technology standards for students for 2017-19. Their conclusion states:
Reviewers CONCLUSION: that collectively, the 21things4students resource is an impressive resource that provides a comprehensive ladder of skills critical for students to be successful in the digital learning landscape. Students who complete the 21Things curriculum will be in an excellent position to further develop their skills and grow their effective use of technology as a tool for learning.