This is where we post notes about any changes to links or content (due to a site or resource being no longer available or revision work) through the school year. The newest information will appear at the top.
Visit the Teacher Start Page to view the Horizon Report information to stay informed about key trends in technology and learning challenges now and in the next 5 years.
*** Michigan Teachers do you need credits to renew your license?
NEW PD Offerings: October 1 - December 22, 2017.
Earn 10-90 SCECHs by completing up to nine of the 21 Things modules. More info can be found at Registration.
REVISIONS/UPDATES in process for 2017-2018
K-5 Update (9/1/2017)
This project is being revised based on feedback from many K-5 teachers. This will have a new look and feel for K-5 teachers. Our focus is to provide mini-lessons that are technology aligned activities for each grade level addressing the different ISTE standards.
9/15/2017 Some of the recent updates:
- New page with Accommodations Resources for teachers to use with students
- Two new STEAM/STEM MAKER Quests have been added to Thing 21 Coding and Game Design. They are Sphero and Ozobots. Check them out!
- Teacher Handbook and the Student Syllabus have been updated
- A Moodle Student Course has been updated and the link has been added to the password protected teacher resource page
- Renamed and replaced Thing 17. Screencasting to 17. Creative Communications to focus on selecting between media types for expression
- Total revision of 18. Digital Storytelling
- Revised 5. Digital Footprint to blend Q1 and Q2
- Added Google slides to the Powerful Presentations along with PowerPoint, tutorials
- Updated Basics including Navigation and the Roadmap files
- Revised the post-tests on the graduation page and began creating a test bank that when completed can be used for pre and post tests for each thing.
- Updated all the quizzes, instructional objectives, I can statements, and alignment with ISTE 2016 student standards
- URL list is being kept up-to-date
- Accommodations for teaching have been added in Teacher Resources: Accommodations
- Making the PDF's accessible (this will take some time in 2017-18)
- Revising the Shortcuts quizzes in Basics Quest 3 to use Quizlet quizzes (in process)
- Replaced bad links to videos in Digital Footprint Q1 and Be Legal & Fair Q1.
Additional Updates Completed:
- Visual Learning has an added Q4 STEAM Roller Coaster that is the first of our STEAM/STEM additions.
- All of the "I Can" statements have been updated and added to the Quests
- All of the Learning Objectives have been updated with the 2016 ISTE Standards for students listed in [brackets] after them
- Fake or Real News is a new Quest added to Search Strategies Q5
- Drop-down 21things menu: You may have noticed the drop-down menu for the 21things is now a double menu box. Teachers requested we find a way to make it shorter so tablets and chromebooks could see the long list easier.
- Instructional Learning Objectives: contain the new ISTE standards in brackets after them. It would be helpful if you begin to familiarize students with the concepts of the 7 standards (see the ISTE Standards for Students 2016
- Student Checklists: student checklists have been updated to include a link to the Quizlets
- I Can statements: that have been located on the Graduation page are now also on the student checklists to help identify personal learning goals. These are also being refreshed, and added to the teacher guides.
- Accessibility: We will be converting the pdf files to meet accessibility standards, adding accommodation information to the site as well as the teacher guides. Our videos already include CC.
- The added Classroom Collaboration Quest is now part of Thing 4. Collaboration
- #10 Digital Images: PicMonkey and two student-created examples have been added to Quest 3
- K-1 Online Safety Project Lesson
- SOPPA: Information about the Student Online Personal Protection Act (SOPPA) in Michigan has been added to the Teacher Resource section.
- Close captioning for videos: We cannot add CC for YouTube, SchoolTube or other videos that we link to, only the ones we have created.
The Teacher Resources have been moved. They were previously located in a Moodle site and have now been moved to this site with a password protected login. It is located under the Teacher Resources top menu, and called: Teacher Resource Login. When you complete the Teacher Registration that you are using the site you will find the login and password at the end of the registration survey. The password is changed each year in July to help us document the use to our funding source (to keep it free to you).
Updates to the 21things4students
*** Stay informed about key trends in technology and learning challenges now and in the next 5 years. Explore by viewing the K-12 Horizon Report overview video (embedded below), and by downloading both the 2016 NMC/CoSN K-12 Horizon Report and the 2016 Horizon Digital Toolkit located at the top of the Teacher Start Page.
The 21Things4Administrators Project website has been updated 1/2/2017. Send a link to your administrator!
ISTE 2016 STANDARDS Alignment
The recently revised ISTE Standards for Students have been released (June 2016). These are now updated on the pages and a cross-alignment document is available.
NEWS FLASH 9/12/2017
Visit the new Teacher Resources Accommodations Page
ISTE awarded the 21things4students their Seal of Alignment for meeting all of the technology standards for students for 2017-19. Their conclusion states:
Reviewers CONCLUSION: that collectively, the 21things4students resource is an impressive resource that provides a comprehensive ladder of skills critical for students to be successful in the digital learning landscape. Students who complete the 21Things curriculum will be in an excellent position to further develop their skills and grow their effective use of technology as a tool for learning.