Quest 2 Safe Searching
Congratulations on your successful completion of Quest One.
You have just learned how to do a search in Mel.org and now you are going to learn how to gather information using a search engine.
After completing this Quest you will know how to filter your results and find the most relevant information.
Search strategies: Search strategies are the best method used to find relevant information.
Filter: A filter is using different strategies to narrow down a search.
I Can Statements
- filter and narrow down results using Boolean Logic
- search safely
1. Visit KidzSearch. If you have younger brothers, sisters or relatives, you may want to show it to their parents or guardians. This page can be set as the home page (the one that always opens first when they open a browser) to help keep their searching safe! Click here for a short video on how to use KidzSearch.
KidzSearch Part 1
In Quest One you found some historical facts using the Mel.org databases. Now, use the KidzSearch Engine to search for a couple of other interesting facts about the delegates and the U.S. Constitution.
2. Ask if you can work with a partner to find out why:
- Thomas Jefferson and John Adams didn't sign it.
- Why some of the others refused to sign.
3. Bonus challenge questions:
- Which state's name was misspelled in the signature area of the U.S. Constitution?
- Who was the oldest person to sign the U.S. Constitution?
- Who was the considered the Expounder of the U.S. Constitution?
- Who actually hand wrote the U.S. Constitution?
KidzSearch Questions Part 2
Now that you have warmed up your search engine, see how you do on the questions below. Ask if you can work with a partner.
Using KidzSearch to answer the questions below.
- What year was the first coin operated pinball machine invented?
- What was the name of this first coin operated pinball invention?
- When was the first electronic pinball machine released?
- What was the first electronic pinball machine named?
- What was the name of the first video arcade game machine?
- Do you agree with the answers the rest of your class picked?
Narrowing Down the Search Part 3
1. Search for information about a sponge for a science report using KidzSearch. The challenge is to narrow down the search to the fewest results and also the most accurate and helpful ones. Use the combinations of words shown below, use the + symbol with a word, and "quotation marks" when there is more than one word.
Search Strategies to try out:
- Search #1: sponge
- Search #2: sponge animal
- Search #3: sponge +ocean
- Search #4: sponge +animal
- Search #5: sponge +"ocean animal"
2. Which of the search strategies above do you think had:
- the largest number of results
- the smallest number of results
- the best results for writing the report
Google Features User Part 4
You have already seen that KidzSearch has many special features to help you find exactly what you’re looking for. You can find a definition of a word, track a flight, find your favorite sport team's scores and solve math problems.
Completing this Quest
You learned various search strategies in this Quest. You are now ready to learn how to evaluate the resources you have found.
1. Do you want to go an extra step for mankind and learn how to use Google Scholar? It is a library of millions of books and other materials digitized for easy reading and searching.
Watch the video to learn more about Google Scholar.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
Proceed to Quest Three
ISTE and Common Core Standards
3. Knowledge Constructor
a. Plan and employ effective research strategies to locate information and other resources for their intellectual or creative pursuits
b. evaluate the accuracy, perspective, credibility and relevance of information, media, data or other resources
c. curate information from digital resources using a variety of tools and methods to create collections of artifacts or solving authentic problems
d. build knowledge by actively exploring real-world issues and problems, developing ideas and theories and pursuing answers and solutions
Common Core Standards
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.7 Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects based on focused questions, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation