In this Quest you will be having fun learning about four different common scams. Learn how to protect yourself, family, friends, and pets. Outsmart the scammers!
Scam: A scheme or offer that is dishonest.
Rip-off: a fraud or swindle (for example clothing labeled by a name brand company, with typical price that isn't really made by them, it's an imitation)
Infographic: An infographic is a visual image such as a chart or diagram used to represent information or data.
I Can Statements
- be a responsible online consumer
- protect myself from online scams and rip-offs
1. Visit the East Terrace Area of the Mall and visit the four stores. Directions are provided for each store in the expanding blocks below:
- Clothing Co.
- Free Vacation!
- Maggie's Miracle Cart
- Kablamo! Comics
The Clothing Company
Click on Isaac at the Clothing Co. to learn about scams.
Watch Isaac, the modeling agent, and Emily who tries to convince him not to get taken in by a modeling offer.
The scammer tries to convince Isaac to sign up for modeling. When he is done talking Emily will try to recognize the scam. You will have some choices provided. In CHOOSE A REASON, select “The agent was really flattering… but he’s saying the exact same thing to Mama Toni!” OR "He was pretty vague about the costs."
Listen to both options.
- Click FINISHED >> to hear Emily and Isaac talk about scams and return to the East Terrace.
- Click on the offer for Free Vacations! on the navigation bar at the bottom of the window. You are invited to participate in a very common scam that is offered at malls, by email, and phone. Learn to help protect yourself, family and friends from this one.
- Listen to the clerk and answer the Yes/No prompt for “WANT TO SPIN AND WIN?”
- Selecting Yes takes you to several offers at different vacation locations. Selecting No will still show you the vacation options.
- Select your vacation choice: Treehouse Island, Smithington Castle, or Sunbeam Mountain?
- After learning about the vacations play the spinner game.
- What's the scam? Listen to the clerk and the officer.
Maggie's Miracle Cart
- Click Maggie’s Miracle Cart on the navigation bar at the bottom of the window. You will be learning about her health product claims.
- After listening to Maggie and Emily, click each of the following to hear Emily tell about them:
The Veggie Wow!, the Electro-Pulser, and the Serenity Snails
- Think about any offers you have seen in the mall, or online. Did you fall for one?
- Listen to Maggie and Emily and then return to the East Terrace.
- Select Kablamo! Comics on the navigation bar at the bottom of the window. You will be learning about a scam.
- Select Keno, the boy in the Kablamo! Comics store, when you see, “KENO GETS A CLUE. FINALLY.”
- Listen to Keno, and then select Captain Noscam when you see, “READY TO BLAST SOME SCAMS?”
- After hearing about the Scamblaster, click to begin the game.
- Play the game until you score at least a 25/30.
- Select EXIT to hear Captain Noscam and finish.
2. Open a word processing document named East Terrace and add your initials. Copy the questions below and paste them into your document.
3. After your visits to the four stores answer the following questions (per your teacher's directions in a class discussion, a document, in partners...).
- How do scams mislead people?
- How does the free vacation scam work?
- What are three ways miracle products are misleading or scams?
- What are three scams you blasted in the Scamblaster?
4. Based on what you learned in Quest Two about advertising and this one about scams, work in a small group to create your own scam. Create a poster (infographic, drawing, or as suggested by your teacher) to advertise your scam to your classmates.
5. Present your scam to the class for feedback for a vote on the best scam.
BONUS Activity: (check with your teacher):
If you have time, explore the Security Plaza to learn about making your personal information secure and summarize what you learned at the bottom of the West Terrace Mall document.
If you have more time, explore the Food Court to learn about competition, mergers, supply and demand, and business practices. List at least three things learned on this visit to the West Terrace Mall in your document.
Completing this Quest
When you are done with this Quest, review the I Can Statements, share the assignment with your teacher and save a copy for your digital portfolio.
Check off this Quest on the 21t4s roadmap
I have completed this Quest and I am ready to tackle Quest 4
Websites and Applications
Competencies & Standards
MITECS Michigan Integrated Technology Competencies for Students, and
2. Digital Citizen
a. Cultivate and manage their digital identity and reputation and are aware of the permanence of their actions in the digital world
b. Engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology
5. Computational Thinker
b. Collect data or identify relevant data sets
Common Core Standards
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.CCRA.W.4 Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.